Tuesday, November 6, 2018

I could use some help out here

To all of my younger colleagues--I could use some help out here.  There are so many needs for education and you have the energy, skills and youth that are fast fading (or gone) for me!  Yes, you do have to use your vacation time and pay your own way.  It is expensive.  It is also one of the most incredible things that you could choose to do.  Tired of what feels like the rat race at work?  Try doing it in 90 degree heat with no running water in your house when you come home to shower.  Think our unfunded patients are difficult to set goals for?  Try thinking about gait training for someone who walks down the mountain on something more like a goat trail than a path to get to the hospital.  Or ADL evaluation for someone who scrubs their own clothing clean in a bucket of cold water and cooks over an open fire.   I always call Haiti my "gratitude fix."  I come back with renewed awareness of all the little and big things that we take for granted every day.  I am definitely not a better person than any of you.  You all contribute to the human race in ways large and small.  I just want to invite you to try doing it HERE or any of the many other places in the world that Health Volunteers Overseas (HVOusa.org) serves.  Whatever your interests, someone needs your help.  Someone who doesn't have anyone else to do it.   If not us, who?  If not now, when?  Think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment