Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tough Bunch of Students

Tough Bunch of Students

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Today was a LONG day for the Rehab Technician students. First they had a written exam. Then they had a practical exam--a make believe patient that they had to teach how to use crutches or a walker or a cane on level surfaces and on stairs. The nerve racking part for the students was that I was the patient.

I did this in the interest of fairness. Even without any intention of trying to help a fellow student or to blatantly cheat, it is easy for them to give subtle hints to one another when one of them is acting as the patient while the other is tested. When I am the patient, I can present in the same way for each case. It took over 30 minutes each to test the six of them so it was a very long morning, as this came after the written exam. I was POOPED afterward as this also takes intense concentration on my part to act the role of the patient and then remember what they are doing at the same time.

Over lunch, I totaled up their points and found that everyone passed. Beth and I spent the early afternoon doing an intensive review of the practical exam as this material will be very important in their practice.

It was after that that the amazing thing happened. It was 2:50 PM and I offered the students the option of quitting for the day and starting fresh on a new unit in the morning. I did give the caveat that we needed to completely finish that unit on Friday before I leave.

Now in the USA (I did not say this to them), I would have bet the farm that the students would have BOLTED out the door in somewhere less than 10 seconds. Not these students. They talked briefly among themselves, then clearly told me to commence. I am not sure about the French spelling of that, but it clearly translates to begin. Tough bunch.

Last night a group of 4 Canadians arrived, 3 PT’s and one OT. They were on the wards today and in the out-pt. area. We especially appreciated the arrival of the OT as there are several patients with hand injuries who need appropriate splints and no one here has that expertise.

Will try to get this posted before the water comes on for our evening shower. One of our pediatric patients has scabies and I am starting to itch. See you in 3 days.

Judy

Addendum: As I walked into the hospital to prepare to post, I heard the loud wailing of a family who has just lost someone in the Overnight Ward. Apparently the morgue has not been in use here for quite some time, so the body lies wrapped in a sheet on the bed or stretcher until arrangements have been made to take it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment