Thursday, May 7, 2015

Slowly the body adapts

Today was the first day at the hospital that I did not feel like I had been run over by a truck all day. I am adjusting to the heat, the change in time zone, the food, the noise, the struggle to communicate, the back and forth pace. I have made one concession to my body and my age for which I am feeling great guilt. The days here are long. Conference with the entire team begins at 7:00 AM sharp. It is hot and I am sweating through my shirt by the time ward rounds end around 9:00 AM. The day ends at 5:00 PM with one hour for lunch. Ten hour days, 9 hours at work. I am cheating. I am taking 1 1/2 hours for lunch. That extra time to relax and recharge is really helping. My friend who is in charge of the Physical Therapy Health Volunteers Overseas program here reminded me that the staff is probably glad to have me out of their hair for a little while in the middle of the day. She is probably right. Visitors can get old fast . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment